Born in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Nathaniel Jenkins is a trombonist, arranger, composer and teacher now based in Toronto. He completed his Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies at St. Francis Xavier University in his hometown and is now pursuing a master’s degree at the University of Toronto.
Since his arrival in Toronto, Nathaniel has performed in jazz and classical ensembles at the Rex, Lula Lounge and the Sony Centre, among other venues. He appeared in the 2018 Ottawa Jazz Festival as a member of the TD Jazz Youth Summit and will be performing at the 2018 Lätzsch Trombone Festival in Heek, Germany as a jazz soloist and member of the University of Toronto Trombone Choir.
Nathaniel continues to compose and arrange for his own projects and various University of Toronto ensembles, including the 12tet’s latest album When Day Slips Into Night. Throughout his education, Nathaniel has studied with Gene Smith, David Braid, Terry Promane, Vanessa Fralick and Andrew Downing.
Nathaniel’s Jazzology Playlist
- “Laura” – The J.J. Johnson Trio (1958)
- “Part 1 – Opening (from Music for Large and Small Ensembles) – Kenny Wheeler (1990)
- “I’m Okay” – Stand Getz, Kenny Barron (1992)
- “Oops” – Slide Monsters (2018)
- “Dance of the Zinfandels” – David Braid Sextet (2006)
- “Sail Away” – U of T 12tet (arr by Nathanial Jenkins – 2018)
Nathaniel’s episode of Jazzology airs November 15 2018.
Jazzology with Heather Bambrick can be heard every Thursday at 9PM