Hannah Barstow is an up-and-coming pianist, vocalist and composer in the Toronto music scene. She has an Associate Diploma from the Royal Conservatory of Music (ARCT) in classical piano performance (2012) and a Bachelor of Music in Jazz Performance on piano from the University of Toronto (2016).
Hannah is a regular performer at the Rex Hotel Jazz & Blues Bar, as well as the Prince Edward County Jazz Festival, at which she was featured as the Rising Young Star in 2016. She has performed with a number of renowned Canadian artists including Emilie Claire Barlow, Mike Murley, Steve Wallace, Pat Collins, the Brian Barlow Big Band, the Greg Runions Big Band and the Kingston Symphony.
Hannah released her self-titled debut EP in August of 2017, and a Christmas EP with Toronto vocalist Kalya Ramu, entitled “Christmas for Two” in December of 2017. She is currently completing a Master’s Degree in Jazz Performance on piano at the University of Toronto.
Hannah’s Jazzology Playlist
- “I Could Write A Book” – Miles Davis Quintet (1956)
- “Now at Last” – Blossom Dearie (1957)
- “Karatê” – Egberto Gismonti (1996)
- “Honeysuckle Rose” – Count Basie and Ella Fitzgerald (1963)
- “But Not For Me” – Ahmad Jamal (1958)
- “Loads of Love” – Shirley Horn (1963)
- “How About You” – Bill Evans Trio (1963)
- “Barefoot” – Hannah Barstow (2017)
Hannah’s episode of Jazzology airs November 8 2018 and will repeat on April 24 2019
Jazzology with Heather Bambrick airs every Thursday night at 9PM.