Jazz drummer Joe Bowden is the 2023 recipient of the Bucky Adams Memorial Award, presented by the East Coast Music Awards.
It’s one of 10 honorary East Coast Music Awards to be presented at a ceremony in Halifax this May.
The Bucky Adams Memorial Award recognizes a full-length or EP recording in any musical genre by an East Coast African-Canadian artist or group. In 2015, it replaced the African-Canadian Recording of the Year. ECMA worked with the African Nova Scotian Music Association to rename the award after legendary East Coast musician Bucky Adams, who passed away in 2012.
Here’s the full list of winners of this year’s honorary East Coast Music Awards:
- Director’s Special Achievement Award: Natalie McMaster
- Bucky Adams Memorial Award: Joe Bowden
- Dr. Helen Creighton Lifetime Achievement Award: Rawlins Cross
- Stompin’ Tom Award – Cape Breton: Fred Lavery
- Stompin’ Tom Award – New Brunswick: Dr. Maggie Paul
- Stompin’ Tom Award – Nova Scotia: Greg Clark
- Stompin’ Tom Award – Prince Edward Island: Richard Wood
- Stompin’ Tom Award – Newfoundland & Labrador: The Flummies
- Industry Builder Award: Lou Gannon
- Musician’s Achievement Award: Jason Mingo
“The ECMA Board of Directors is honoured to recognize the dedication and commitment of our industry professionals,” said Debbie Mullins, chair of ECMA. “Their contribution is essential to the growth and development of our East Coast music and culture. Congratulations to all.”
Most of the awards will be presented during the East Coast Music Awards: Part II, set to take place at the Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel on Sunday, May 7.