Dizzy Gilles-pea Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (1 cup)
- 3 celery stalks, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 16-ounce bag of dried split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 meat ham bone or 1 ½ pounds of smoked ham, diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and the celery and sauté for 3 minutes, then add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Pour in the chicken stock and the water, and add in the split peas, the ham bone and all of the seasonings. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the peas are tender, about 80-90 minutes.
- Remove the ham bone from the soup and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut the ham from the bone into pieces (if using prepared smoked ham, dice).
- Add the ham pieces and the sliced carrots to the soup. Cover and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, for another 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender and the soup is a desired consistency.