Kronos Quartet with special guest Tanya Tagaq at Koerner Hall
- This event has passed.
Kronos Quartet brings a program full of world and Canadian premieres of compositions that explore how music can increase our understanding of our times and our connection to people around the world, through new works composed or inspired by Steve Reich, Jimi Hendrix, Mahalia Jackson, Billie Holiday, and more.
- Steve Reich: “Pendulum Music” (Canadian premiere)
- Traditional: “Star-Spangled Banner” (inspired by Jimi Hendrix; arr. Stephen Prutsman & Kronos Quartet)+
- Antonio Haskell: “God Shall Wipe All Tears Away” (inspired by Mahalia Jackson; arr. Jacob Garchik) (Ontario premiere)+
- Stacy Garrop: Glorious Mahalia (featuring the recorded voices of Mahalia Jackson and Studs Terkel) (Canadian premiere)*
- Tanya Tagaq: “Colonizer” (Remix) (arr. Tanya Tagaq & Kronos Quartet) (world premiere)+
- Aruna Narayan: “Mishra Pilu” (arr. Reena Esmail) (Canadian premiere)**
- Komitas: “Groung” (arr. Mary Kouyoumdjian) (featuring the recorded voice of David Barsamian)+
- Abel Meeropol: “Strange Fruit” (inspired by Billie Holiday; arr. Jacob Garchik) (Ontario premiere)+
- Zachary James Watkins: “Peace Be Till” (featuring the recorded voice of Dr. Clarence B. Jones) (Canadian premiere)*
* Written for Kronos
** Written for Fifty for the Future: The Kronos Learning Repertoire
+ Arranged for Kronos