Benny Green Bean Casserole
- 1 1/3 tbsp Kosher salt, divided
- 4 cups fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 medium Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 475ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, Panko bread crumbs and kosher salt for the topping. Add in the sliced onion and toss to coat.
- Rub a large sheet plan with a tablespoon of unsalted butter and spread the onions evenly.
- Put the sheet pan in the oven on the middle rack and bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Toss the onions 2-3 times during cooking. When done, remove the onions from the oven and set aside. Turn down the oven to 400ºF.
- While the onions are in the oven, prepare the beans. In a large saucepan, bring water and 2 tablespoons of kosher salt to a boil, then add the green beans and blanch them for 5 minutes.
- Drain the beans and immediately plunge them into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain the beans again and set them aside until ready to use.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter over medium-high heat. Add the sliced mushrooms, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and the black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to give up some of their liquid, about 4-5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and nutmeg and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle the mushrooms with the flour and stir to combine. Cook for another minute. Pour in the chicken stock and simmer for a minute. Decrease the heat to medium-low and add the half-and-half. Continue to cook until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in ¼ of the baked onions and all of the green beans. Transfer the mixture into a 9"x13” baking dish and top with the remaining onions.
- Bake in the oven at 400ºF until bubbly, about 15 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.