The Recording Academy has announced the full list of nominees for the 2020 Grammy Awards, which includes three more nods for celebrated jazz composer Christian McBride.
The jazz categories also include two nominations each for veteran player Branford Marsalis (best improvised jazz solo and best jazz instrumental album) and three-time winner Esperanza Spalding (best jazz vocal album and best arrangement, instruments and vocals). Young sensation Jacob Collier nabbed two nominations for best arrangement, while Branford’s brother Wynton Marsalis is nominated for best Latin jazz album as well as best contemporary classical composition.
McBride is nominated for best improvised jazz solo and best jazz instrumental album, plus another for best instrumental composition. He has previously won six Grammy Awards, having received the last one in 2017 for the album Bringin’ It.
Meanwhile, several previously nominated artists have a shot at their first win this year, including Jazzmeia Horn, Brad Mehldau, Joshua Redman and Catherine Russell.
Canadian superstar singer Michael Bublé’s record Love is nominated for best traditional pop vocal album.
Overall, Lizzo leads the way with eight nominations, followed by six each for youngsters Billie Eilish and Lil Nas X.
Check out the nominees in the five jazz categories below.
The Grammy Awards take place Jan. 26.
Best Improvised Jazz Solo
- Melissa Aldana – Elsewhere
- Randy Brecker – Sozinho
- Julian Lage – Tomorrow is the Question
- Branford Marsalis – The Windup
- Christian McBride – Sightseeing
Best Jazz Vocal Album
- Sara Gazarek – Thirsty Ghost
- Jazzmeia Horn – Love & Liberation
- Catherine Russell – Alone Together
- Esperanza Spalding – 12 Little Spells
- The Tierney Sutton Band – Screenplay
Best Jazz Instrumental Album
- Joey DeFrancesco – In the Key of the Universe
- Branford Marsalis Quartet – The Secret Between the Shadow and the Soul
- Christian McBride – Christian McBride’s New Jawn
- Brad Mehldau – Finding Gabriel
- Joshua Redman Quartet – Come What May
Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album
- Anat Cohen Tentet – Triple Helix
- Miho Hazama – Dancer in Nowhere
- Mike Holober & The Gotham Jazz Orchestra – Hiding Out
- Brian Lynch Big Band – The Omni-American Book Club
- Terraza Big Band – One Day Wonder
Best Latin Jazz Album
- Chick Corea & The Spanish Heart Band – Antidote
- Thalma de Freitas With Vitor Gonçalves, John Patitucci, Chico Pinheiro, Rogerio Boccato & Duduka Da Fonseca – Sorte!: Music by John Finbury
- Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis – Una Noche Con Rubén Blades
- David Sánchez – Carib
- Miguel Zenón – Sonero: The Music of Ismael Rivera