- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- In a medium saucepan, combine heavy cream with the vanilla bean pulp and pod and the salt. Cook over low heat until just hot. Remove from the heat, cover, and let stand for 15 minutes. Discard the vanilla bean pod.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and ½ cup of sugar until the colour begins to lighten. Add in a little bit of the heavy cream at a time, stirring continually. Pour the mixture into four 6-ounce ramekins and place the ramekins into a large baking dish or roasting pan. Fill the pan with enough boiling water that it measures halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the crème brûlée is set but still jiggly in the centre.
- Remove the ramekins from the pan and let cool. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 3 days.
- To serve, allow the ramekins to come to room temperature. Sprinkle the top of each crème brûlée evenly with sugar and, using a torch, melt the sugar to form a browned, crispy top. Try to avoid burning the sugar. Allow 5 minutes before eating.