Canada’s Great Kitchen Party, the annual culinary competition that draws more than 100 chefs and 5,000 guests each year to events across the country, is hosting three “home editions” as Canadians remain in isolation during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Hosted by George Stroumboulopoulos, the hour-long variety shows will feature music, comedy and stories. The headlining stars include Jim Cuddy, Ed Robertson, Barney Bentall, Alan Doyle, Tom Cochrane, Sam Roberts, Bill Henderson, Neil Osborne, Geoffrey Kelly, Tessa Virtue, Curt Harnett.
The first live-streamed event took place Wednesday, April 15, on Facebook Live, and will be followed by a second and third edition on April 22 and 29 at 8 p.m. EST.
The events are being held as a way to “say thank you to our community, at the same time supporting Canada’s superb chefs and restaurants who have been hit especially hard during these times.” The organization is also showing its support for the Canada Takeout Day campaign, which encourages Canadians to order takeout every Wednesday to support local restaurants.
Here’s what you have to do to participate:
- Order takeout from your favourite restaurant on Wednesday April 15, 22 and 29 (or buy a gift card for a future meal).
- Invite five other “parties” to join your “reservation” by copying and pasting this invite to them. Ask them to continue the invitation so as many Canadians as possible join the party.
- Choose your favourite Canadian beverage to accompany your takeout dinner.
- On Wednesdays for the rest of April, go to Canada’s Great Kitchen Party on Facebook at 8 p.m. EST.
- While enjoying the show, join the chat and tell fellow Canadians where you are from, who you ordered takeout from, and what beverage you are enjoying.