Clifford Brown Betty
- 5 large Jazz apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spread the sliced apples evenly in the bottom of a 9”x9” baking dish and squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the slices.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, the sugars, the spices and salt. Add the cubes of cold butter and use a pastry blender to work the butter into the dry ingredients to create crumbs. Sprinkle the topping over the apples evenly.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the pre-heated oven for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to cook until the topping is crisp, about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla bean ice cream.