Youth Big Band Questionnaire:
1) How has the JAZZ.FM91 Youth Big Band experience been so far?
The YBB has been fantastic and even more fun than I imagined. It is a joy to play challenging but rewarding charts with like-minded young musicians.
2) What has been your favourite performance this year?
My favourite performance was our concert at the Prince Edward County Jazz Festival, because not only was it a fun performance, but we got to spend the day before working with great clinicians such as Jason Louge.
3) What upcoming event(s) are you looking forward to the most and why?
I am looking forward to playing at our next concert, which is at the Richard Bradshaw theatre, as it is the last concert before the summer, when we will inevitably not have everyone at each performance after that because of people’s busy summer schedules. In the summer though, we will be performing at the Toronto Jazz festival, which is definitely something that I am looking forward too
4) The Youth Big Band program is made possible by our generous donors and sponsors who strongly believe in the importance of arts education initiatives. If you had the opportunity to thank them in person, what would you say?
I would like to say thank you for enabling young musicians from across the GTA to perform and learn with such a high caliber band. Every band member’s playing has improved very much since the start of the year, and it is thanks to you that this is possible.
5) How has your playing changed since you joined the Youth Big Band?
One of my biggest improvements this year has been my increased skill at general section playing. Another big improvement in my skill as a musician has been in my sight reading.
6) What music are you listening to at the moment that you find particularly inspiring?
Currently, I’m listening to Saxophone Colossus by Sonny Rollins and Modern-Day Blues by Dan Nimmer, because of the sense of melody and feel that the musicians have on both recordings. Their playing isn’t needlessly technical, it just sounds good.
7) Do you have any plans for the summer?
Number one, I’m looking forward to playing with the YBB and I am also going to the Youth Jazz Canada Summer Jazz Workshop.
8) Do you plan to audition for the group next year?
Yes, I do.
Favourite musical artist: Sonny Rollins, Dan Nimmer, and Alister Kay
Last live concert / show you attended: Jazz at Lincoln Centre with Wynton Marsalis live at Massey Hall
Favourite TV show or movie: Brooklyn 99 is a favourite of mine
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be? Probably western or central Europe.