1) How has the JAZZ.FM91 Youth Big Band experience been so far?
So far the JAZZ.FM91 Youth Big Band has been challenging and motivating. Having so many excellent musicians in a room really makes me want to play my best!
2) What has been your favourite performance this year?
So far my favourite performance has been playing for other bands at the Golden Horseshoe music festival. Getting to play for young musicians and seeing how they are inspired in the same way that I was inspired the first time I heard this band play was really encouraging to me.
3) What upcoming event(s) are you looking forward to the most and why?
I am looking forward to playing at the Pilot the most as the intimate setting of a club has the best sound and the venue is great.
4) The Youth Big Band program is made possible by our generous donors and sponsors who strongly believe in the importance of arts education initiatives. If you had the opportunity to thank them in person, what would you say?
I think that having an opportunity like this is really amazing as a high school student. I would like to to thank our generous donors, who we rely on for the continuation of this band. This band has been a huge influence on my playing and my ability to apply my practice. Thank you!
5) How has your playing changed since you joined the Youth Big Band?
The Youth Big Band has really pushed me to work on my technique, and having recently joined Sr. Enriched in the Humber Community Music Program, I feel like I have become more aware of the shapes and sounds happening around me within a piece of music.
6) What music are you listening to at the moment that you find particularly inspiring?
Currently I have been listening to plenty of Sonny Stitt, Oscar Peterson, Seamus Blake and Joshua Redman. I’ve also been listening to some of the bands that we have been playing songs by, including the Bob Mintzer Big Band and Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass.
7) Do you have any plans for the summer?
I will be working at a camp and lifeguarding, but I also plan to spend some time practicing, while staying local so that I can be available for concerts with the multiple groups I’m involved with.
8) Do you plan to audition for the group next year?
Favourite musical artist:
All time favourite is Joshua Redman, but I’ve really been enjoying some Sonny Stitt and John Coltrane as of late.
Last live concert / show you attended:
Tower of Power in Markham.
Favourite TV show or movie:
Lord of the Rings
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?
I would like to travel to New York or New Orleans.