We are looking for our next visionary leader. As the General Manager you will provide strategic, operational, and fundraising leadership for the organization. We are looking for a hands-on entrepreneurial candidate who will embrace our mission and expand our leadership and excellence. You are forward-thinking, passionate, and innovative; someone who can build on our unique position as Canada’s only 24/7 jazz radio station.
More than just a radio station, JAZZ.FM91 is one of only a few registered charitable arts organizations dedicated to enriching the cultural, educational and community experience of its audience.
Our Mission is to be Canada’s jazz station — an essential broadcaster of jazz in all its forms, bringing entertainment and education to our listeners and inspiration to new generations of jazz musicians.
JAZZ.FM91 is committed to equity, diversity & inclusion at all levels of the organization. It’s how we celebrate and promote jazz and its roots in Black history and culture, preserve its past, and ensure its future for all our listeners and musicians who keep it alive.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Lead, inspire and develop a diverse team of professionals to deliver on the station’s vision, mission and values
- Use your strong leadership skills to build a culture of inclusion and collaboration across the team
Ensure the financial, operational and reputational health of the organization
- Achieve revenue and donor targets, and build cash reserves
Be responsible for programming that maximizes audience share and ratings growth
- Deliver a robust communications and marketing plan to promote the JAZZ.FM91 brand
- Be the positive ambassador for the JAZZ.FM91 brand – donor/member and jazz community relations
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with local professional jazz musicians
- Explore new uses of digital technology to expand JAZZ.FM91’s audience reach beyond its terrestrial signal
- Manage within an approved budget, reporting to the Board of Directors
- Develop and execute, with Board assistance, a fundraising platform that achieves yearly targets
Work with the Board of Directors to fulfill the organization’s mission
- Work with the Board to execute the station’s long-term strategic plan
- Uphold the station’s HR Code of Conduct and promote equity, diversity and inclusion in all management decision making
- Communicate effectively with all Board members and committees and provide timely and accurate information necessary for the Board and committees to function properly and fulfill their mandates
Work with staff, partners and stakeholders to create and implement impactful community outreach programs
- Lead the development and creation of all community and other outreach programs
- Ensure the continued engagement and support of the local Jazz community including professional musicians
Education, Attributes and Experience
- Ideally, 10 years of broadcast experience in either sales, programming, management or a combination of these skills, preferably in a radio station. Listener-supported charitable organization experience a benefit
- Proven skills in people leadership and building strong inclusive teams
- Stellar skills in financial management including budgeting, reporting and monitoring
- Progressive leadership experience in one or more of fundraising, strategy and business development, and implementation, sales and/or marketing
- University degree favoured but not essential. Work experience is key.
- You are a highly motivated action-oriented individual with a proven track record and the resolve to lead an organization that has a unique status as a competitive local radio station with an international footprint, and is a listener-supported charitable organization
- You have proven excellence in motivating, coaching and managing a diverse team, in tandem with a proven willingness to “roll-up” your own sleeves
- You are a leader who is committed to combatting systemic racism and other forms of bias wherever you see it
- You are an exceptional and engaging communicator; always polished with superior presentation skills
- You have proven interpersonal savvy and a keen sense of diplomacy with the ability to effectively manage key relationships, including those with high profile individuals, business leaders and key donors
How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to send a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by Oct. 16, 2020, to GMposition@jazz.fm.
Only candidates who are being actively considered will be contacted.
JAZZ.FM91 is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, where all colleagues feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our listeners and the music communities we serve.