JAZZ.FM91 is Canada and North America’s only 24 hour jazz station located in the heart of Liberty Village, here in Toronto.
JAZZ.FM91 operates as a non-profit radio station, primarily funded by its member donors and advertising revenue. The station has been in existence since 1947 first operating out of Ryerson University. The station is a big part of the cultural mecca of Toronto’s arts, embracing artists both Canadian and across borders. We are deeply committed to community outreach and to the development of emerging artists. We are regulated by the CRTC on our commercial content and operate under the strictest of guidelines adhering to the rules and regulations of the Broadcast Standards Council. We are a small group of full time employees located in the same building where the station broadcasts live.
As a listener supported broadcaster, we have built a passionate and loyal audience who crave diversity and musical sophistication, embraced through an all jazz format within a charitable arts and education context.
JAZZ.FM91 seeks a motivated professional accountant for the position of Director of Finance and Administration. The successful applicant will be responsible for planning and directing the financial and key administrative functions of JAZZ.FM91 including a senior controller role in the Finance Department. This position reports to the VP, Managing Director and plays an important role as part of the senior management team in business decisions and risk management.
The ideal candidate is a motivated professional accountant with experience in a senior financial position with a registered charity. S/he is able to handle a demanding workload and has a strong interest in the arts community. The successful applicant will be joining a team of 20 staff members in a collaborative and fun work environment.
- Oversee all accounting functions including payables, invoicing, receivables, cash management, reconciliations, tax remittances and administration.
- Monitor cash flow, income and expenses, combined and by grant and program.
- Manage and provide quarterly reports on the investment portfolio.
Preparing and administering annual budgets:
- Prepare and administer annual program-based and grant-supported departmental budgets.
Improving financial systems:
- Identify, develop and implement policies, procedures, and efficiency enhancements in the accounting function and related systems.
Preparing financial and other reports:
- Prepare reports for internal and external needs as required, including quarterly reports for the Board and monthly financial statements for managers.
- Obtain, interpret, and comply with government and other reporting requirements.
- Ensure programs, projects and departments are recording and tracking revenues and expenses in compliance with specifications for systems and accounts.
- Prepare financial statements and support materials for the annual audit.
- Oversee and prepare for any program audits required by external funders.
- Manage payroll; track leave and compensatory hours; allocate staff time against programs; and administer personnel files and benefits.
Monitoring grants, donations and contracts:
- Track program and project revenue and expenses according to donor/client requirements.
- Review all contracts to ensure legal compliance and that JAZZ.FM91’s financial record-keeping requirements are met.
Overseeing office administration:
- Oversee office administration including leases on premises, equipment, compliance with health and safety requirements, computer systems and IT, and management of a property owned by the organization.
Administering insurance programs:
- Assess insurance requirements and manage insurance programs that cover corporate general liability and other requirements of the organization and federated member groups.
Contributing to other efforts:
- Help develop systems to increase work efficiency and promote an enjoyable work atmosphere.
- Assume other responsibilities as needed.
Skills and Qualifications
- Professional accounting designation (CPA);
- 3+ years in a senior financial position;
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting standards in a registered charity;
- Strong verbal and written communications and presentation skills;
- Analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills;
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy;
- Ability to operate and manage computerized financial information systems (Quick Books) and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Maturity and good judgment; and
- Ability to work with confidential information.
This is a full-time, permanent position based at JAZZ.FM91, 4 Pardee Avenue in downtown Toronto. Only those qualified appropriate will be contacted. Please send CVs, in confidence, to firstname.lastname@example.org